Many employers and sports organizations are requiring drug tests of their applicants. If you are involved in an industrial or vehicle accident, you too may be required to take a drug test. How is a drug test conducted and how can you prepare for it?
So, What Happens During a Drug Test?
A urine drug test takes place in a controlled setting. That means precautions are taken to keep you from trying to fool the test. The test will encompass some or all of the following steps:
- The test administrator will have you empty all of your pockets and remove excess clothing, such as a coat.
- You will be instructed to wash your hands and given a wipe to clean your genital area.
- Start by urinating into the toilet, then into a provided container up to the marked level.
- Close the container and give it back to the test administrator.
- The administrator will label and seal your sample
Note: Depending on the reason for the test, the administrator may observe you giving the urine sample to ensure that it is being collected correctly.
A second way you can be checked for drugs is by having your blood tested. You will be sent to a testing lab. They will draw a small amount of blood by means of a needle.
How to Prepare for a Drug Test?
As can be seen, taking a drug test is simple. There is not much to prepare, but a few precautions are in order so that the results can be interpreted correctly.
- If you are taking prescription medicines or supplements, take a list of them with you and give it to the administrator. Some medicines or supplements may cause you to test positive for some illegal or controlled drugs and steroids.
- For a urine test, refrain from eating any foods containing poppy seeds several days before your test. Poppy seeds can cause you to test positive for opioids.
- Also for a urine test, drink an extra glass of water that morning to help create a sample to give.