Difference Between the Forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506T-EZ

Difference Between the Forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506T-EZ

As you know, we have covered form 4506-T extensively in our previous blogs. Since some of you asked, we would like to clarify difference between the forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506t-EZ.


  1. This form is used to obtain a full copy of your income tax return.
  2. Includes complete data for all the fields that were reported on your tax returns.
  3. Used if you require your tax returns from four years ago or even later.
  4. The IRS charges $57.00/ request for information 4 years and older.


  1. The “T” in 4506-T stands for ‘transcript’ and is used to obtain specific information like:
  • Transcripts of your tax return.
  • Information for your tax account.
  • Wage and income information
  • A record of your tax payments.
  1. Includes only a line-by-line printout of the information that was on your return.
  2. Used to obtain records up to three years old.
  3. Form 4506-T requests are free.
  4. Can be used to request a “verification of non-filing.” to obtain a statement from the IRS saying that you did not file a return for a given year.
  5. Can be used to request transcripts of information of forms W-2, 1098, 1099 and 5498. A separate 4506-T must be filled for each request.


  1. This form is used to request a tax return transcript that includes most lines of the original tax return. Used only for requesting a transcript of the 1040-series individual tax return.
  2. It does not include payments, penalty assessments, or adjustments made to the original filing.
  3. Form 4506T-EZ requests are free.