Top 3 Frequently Asked Questions About A 4506-T

Top 3 Frequently Asked Questions About A 4506-T

Getting copies of your past IRS documents can take months and could require multiple request. However, you can submit IRS form 4506-T to receive transcripts with the most important information for common filings. This is often the fastest way to get the information you need. Review these 3 frequently asked questions to figure out if the 4506-T is right for you.

What Information Can I Get with a 4506-T?
The 4506-T lets you request a transcript of your past IRS 1040, 1120, 1065, W-2, and 1099 filings. The transcripts give all the key information contained on these forms in a concise format that is easy to read and to organize. You will need to do additional requests to get access to business tax forms or other specialized documents, but the 4506-T provides transcripts for the most common tax forms.

How Far Back Can My Request Go?
Form 4506-T allows you to request transcripts for the last 4 years. If you’re trying to show income or need to dispute penalties for a recent year, then this should be enough information. You’ll need to contact the IRS for older records, but the last four years of tax filings might be enough to handle many tax and income related questions.

How Do I Submit a Form 4506-T?
If you file 4506-T directly with the IRS, then processing time can be anywhere from 10 to 60 days. Electronic requests can be processed more quickly and can save you time if you if you plan to make multiple requests or expect to make requests on a regular basis.

Consider the 4506-T for Future Tax Document Requests
The 4506-T is not the perfect fit for every situation, but it offers comprehensive information on the most common tax documents and is easy to request online. If you’re trying to update or correct tax records, then IRS Form 4506-T is a good start.