Title Image

How To Use 4506-T: Immigration Applications

How To Use 4506-T: Immigration Applications

In many cases, immigration applications require submission of IRS Form 4506-T, Request of Transcript for Tax Return. This form gives the IRS permission to release a transcript of a taxpayer’s returns as well as W-2 and 1099 filings to the individual or a third-party. The 4506-T is similar to Form 4506, except that 4506 is used to request complete copies, whereas Form 4506-T is appropriate only for transcript requests.

Sponsors on immigration applications are generally required to include either copies of tax returns or IRS transcripts, and in this case the sponsor can simply indicate USCIS as a third-party recipient on the 4506-T. Immigration only requires the most recent tax return, but IRS transcripts include information for the last three years. You can also use the 4506-T to request information listed on W-2’s and 1099’s for the previous 10 years.

The most complete IRS transcript is called a Record of Account, which includes both specifics from your tax return and your payment history. In the event that you need both a Record of Account and Information Return Transcript (W-2, 1099, etc.), you would need to submit two 4506-T’s. You can also order a Verification of Non-Filing, which states that you did not file tax returns for a given year.

Ordering a 4506-T is a fairly straightforward process whether you do it yourself or you use an IRS bulk vendor. However, there are sometimes problems. The most common reason that the IRS rejects requests is that the address provided for the previous return year does not match the address listed in the actual return on file. Be sure to include any previous addresses on the form.

In addition, it is important to be certain that an IRS transcript will be sufficient to support your immigration sponsorship application. Individuals who are W-2 employees should have no problems going the 4506-T route. However, self-employed individuals must furnish copies of their tax schedule forms, and would therefore have to provide these copies separately, or else provide a complete copy of their return for the previous year.